Europe’s fist designated International Dark Sky Reserve
Running along the West Somerset/North Devon border in South West England, Exmoor National Park is home to 267 square miles of dramatic coastline, heather-clad moorlands, sheltered woodland and ancient farmland.
The variety of landscapes across Exmoor National Park makes it a natural adventure playground. Combine this with the park’s picture-perfect coastal towns, sleepy villages and a famously warm welcome and you have the perfect holiday destination.
If your ideal break is the slow-paced, relaxing kind, you’ll love the 600 miles of walkways to explore, the peaceful cycling routes, the excellent fishing opportunities and trotting across the moorland on horseback. But if you’d prefer to get the adrenaline pumping, there’s rock climbing at the Valley of Rocks, game shooting in the valleys and white water kayaking on the River Barle.
It’s not just the daytime activities you’ll love at Exmoor; you’re in for a treat when night falls too. Exmoor National Park is home to some of the darkest skies in the country, making it the perfect place for a spot of stargazing. In fact, the park is Europe’s fist designated International Dark Sky Reserve. For the best view of the North Star, The Plough and Cassiopeia, head to Holdstone Hill, County Gate, Brendon Two Gates, Webbers Post, Anstey Gate, Haddon Hill or Wimbleball Lake.
1. Explore the coastal paths and open moorland of the park on a guided tour during the annual Exmoor Walking Festival (April or May).
2. Take a trip on the steam-powered West Somerset Railway and discover the beautiful Exmoor countryside in style.
3. Have a picnic in the beautiful surroundings of the ancient Tarr Steps bridge.
4. For a beach break with a difference, head to Kilve Beach on the Jurassic Coast – it’s the perfect place to dig for fossils.
5. Enjoy a famous Devon cream tea with locally made clotted cream in a village tearoom.
Find out more http://www.visit-exmoor.co.uk/
VisitBritain would like to invite you to take part in a short survey about our website.
It should take no more than a couple of minutes.Please click here to be taken to the survey