Travel tips | Traveller tips | Utilities, weights and measures

Utilities, weights and measures

Do I need a plug adaptor?

It can often be confusing when you visit a new country because of the different utility systems and measurements. Knowing which type of plug you need for your hairdryer, or whether you can drink the water, for example, are things we all need to know before we travel.

We've highlighted a few of the things that are good to know before you get here.


イギリス(英国)の標準電圧は240ボルト、50ヘルツになります。 日本から電気器具を持っていく場合は変圧器が必要です。プラグは三つ叉で、先が四角い形(BFタイプ)をご用意ください。 電圧を変更できる電気器具を使用する場合でも、プラグ用アダプターが必要です。イギリス(英国)で通常使われている電気機器は3スクエアピンのプラグです。 Plug socket adaptors and power transformers are widely available, you can buy them at most airports, electrical shops and hardware stores.

水についての衛生水準は非常に高く、キッチンの水やレストランで出される水道水、氷などは安全です。 You can usually drink from all taps that supply water to kitchen areas. また、ミネラルウォーターもほとんどの店やスーパーで売られています。


Gas is often used in homes for cooking, central heating and to heat water. Some cookers may use both gas and electricity, for example they may use gas for the hob and electricity for the oven.


Most cars in Britain run off petrol, but there are also a large number of cars and lorries that run off diesel. Petrol is usually sold as either Four Star (usually a red pump), or Unleaded (usually a green pump); both types are available for most petrol stations. You will also see an increasing number of electric, or electric-petrol combined and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cars on the road.

Measurements & conversions

Kilometres & miles
1 mile = 1.609 kilometres
1 kilometre = 0.621 miles

Litres & gallons
1 gallon = 4.546 litres
1 litre = 0.220 gallons

Kilos & pounds
1 pound = 0.453 kilos
1 kilo = 2.204 pounds