Most of these tips are common sense, and you probably practise them in your own country, but they can make a real difference.
In an emergency that requires ambulance, police or fire services dial 999 from any telephone. 非紧急情况者，请与当地警察局取得联系。
We strongly advise that you take out adequate insurance before you leave to cover you for any health and medical issues, and also for theft or damage to your belongings.
Using public transport & taxis
- On a double-decker bus, sit downstairs where the driver can see you.
- Check the time of the last train, bus or tube back to your accommodation.
- Minicabs that stop in the street may be cheaper, but they are not as safe as those you arrange over the phone.
- 如在乘车途中需要紧急救援，请拨打英国交通警察署免费电话 0800 40 50 40。
Be safe on the streets
- Never carry large amounts of money with you, but always make sure you have enough for a phone call and a bus or taxi home.
- Avoid using cash machines at night or in isolated places, and always be aware of people around you.
- Try not to display expensive items like laptops, mobile phones and jewellery.
- Avoid confrontation – if you are harassed, try to remove yourself from the situation.
- If you think you are being followed, find the nearest public place and ask for assistance.
At your accommodation
- When you arrive at your accommodation, familiarise yourself with the fire exits, assembly points and the location of fire extinguishers.
For more information on personal safety when visiting the UK see the Metropolitan Policewebsite.