• VisitBritain has launched our biggest, most ambitious tourism marketing programme for 10 years, the “You’re invited” programme. We have started with a global TV ad and online films featuring famous British celebrities including Dame Judi Dench, Dev Patel, Twiggy, Rupert Everett and Jamie Oliver inviting the world to visit Britain and join in the celebrations.
• In September these celebrity invitations will be followed up by an invitation from the travel industry, with great offers to encourage travel now. An invitation from the British public will come towards the end of the year.
• "Great Britain You're Invited" will help put us on the destination wish list for visitors from the new growth markets in Asia and Latin America, and will revitalise our appeal in core markets such as Europe and the US.
• The “You’re Invited” programme will be jointly funded by industry and Government (through VisitBritain), with £100 million over four years. This will help deliver growth to the economy and create new jobs across the country.
• Now is the time for us to highlight the diversity of what we have to offer visitors across Britain – history and heritage, our countryside and natural beauty, our culture, fashion, sports, world-class food and drink, and the warmth of our welcome.
• VisitBritain runs a wonderful resource for overseas journalists – our online media centre that has features, news, all our press releases and great HD footage that can be downloaded. Look at http://media.visitbritain.com
• London 2012 is going to be such a unique Olympic and Paralympic Games – really mixing the old with the new. Some events will be taking place in iconic sporting venues like Wimbledon and Wembley, others will be taking place in the historic places you’ve read about or visited like Hyde Park, Greenwich, Horse Guard’s Parade near Buckingham Palace and Windsor, while others will be taking place in the newly built, sustainable Olympic Park.
• Over 20,000 journalists are expected in London to cover the Games period. VisitBritain is one of the partners of the London Media Centre in the heart of London. Here non-accredited media will have exclusive media briefings, bespoke hospitality events, interviews with VIP spokespeople and behind the scenes access to some of London’s most famous landmarks and attractions. Media can register now at: www.londonmediacentre.co.uk
• A new BritAgent module entitled “Great Britain You’re Invited - 2012” has been developed to provide agents around the world with inspirational ideas of amazing things to see and do next year
Additional information on 2012
• The Olympic Torch Relay which runs from put the dates in will showcase the nations and regions of Britain throughout its 70 day journey, with the Olympic Flame travelling an estimated 8,000 miles around Britain and visiting some of our most interesting towns and cities, it will also run through wonderful countryside and landscapes icons along the way.
• There will be over 140,000 rooms available in London for visitors to the Games. Visitors also have the option to stay in some of Britain’s other great cities that are less than an hour from London, places like Brighton, Cambridge and Oxford.
• A new London Visitor Charter will see some of the biggest names in the capital’s tourism and leisure sectors, including The 02 Arena and Eurostar commit to fair pricing for visitors throughout the 2012 Games. This will help reassure tourists they are getting value for their money during their stay in the capital. This complements the Fair Pricing & Practice Charter in place around the rest of the country.
• To find out about Britain and to watch our celebrity films and TV ad, visit our website: http://www.visitbritain.com
For more information contact:
VisitBritain Media Teampressandpr@visitbritain.com