Boasting one of the world’s most prestigious universities, Cambridge is a town brimming with history, tradition and scholarly charm.
Punting on the River Cam, Cambridge, England © VisitEngland/Iain Lewis
CAMBRIDGE - AT A GLANCE
- At the heart of this spectacular destination is Cambridge University, which is split into 31 architecturally stunning colleges. The most famous is Kings College, with its distinctive gothic chapel and illustrious list of former students. Take a tour to hear all the stories about famous former students.
- You could spend the day in the bustling market square or punt lazily down the River Cam - either way, Cambridge is a truly idyllic place to explore.
- Enjoy a relaxing walk through Cambridge University Botanic Garden, or admire the shining 24-carat gold Grasshopper - the Corpus Clock - on Corpus Christi College's Taylor Library.
- Be sure to seek refreshment in one of the town’s many tearooms. Fitzbillies, which has been around since the 1920s, is a Cambridge institution and a cosy spot for a traditional afternoon tea.
- Did you know? People like to visit the nearby Cambridgeshire Fens for leisurely canal holidays. Companies such as Fox Narrowboats offer boats for hire on a daily or weekly basis.
- VisitCambridge has ideas and tips for all seasons.
- This historic city is around 50 minutes north east of London by train.