Edinburgh - at a glance
- A sense of history is all around you here - Edinburgh won’t disappoint if you’re looking for a flavour of old Scotland.
- Get lost in the cobbled alleyways of the Old Town topped by the sturdy Edinburgh Castle, admire the Georgian splendour of the New Town and climb Calton Hill for outstanding views across the city and the sea beyond.
- Edinburgh is home to more Michelin-starred restaurants than any other part of the UK outside London, so if you’re in the mood for an award-winning dinner, you’re in luck. Try Castle Terrace or The Kitchin for first-class modern food using the finest Scottish ingredients.
- Edinburgh is perfect for festival lovers with 11 major festivals happening every year –5 take place in August, including the famous Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
- And don’t forget to sample a warming dram or 2 of the national drink on a Scotch Whisky Tour.
- Edinburgh is well linked to the rest of the UK by road, rail and air. The quickest option to get to Edinburgh from London is to fly, which takes 1 hour 10 minutes.
Things to do in Edinburgh
Bestselling deals in Edinburgh
Getting to Edinburgh
Located in central-eastern Scotland, the country’s capital is easily accessible via Edinburgh Airport, which is served by major airlines including Virgin, British Airways and easyJet. You can also fly from London to Edinburgh, with an average journey time of just one hour 20 minutes.
Getting around Edinburgh
With a 24-hour bus service running from the airport to the city centre plus buses, trains and the tram, getting around Edinburgh is a breeze. And with over 1,000 black cabs in the city, there’s plenty of choice if you want to travel in style too.
- To help plan your route by bus visit Lothian buses, one of the city’s major bus network, or find more information about Edinburgh’s tram system here
- Lothian Airport Daytickets give you unlimited one-day travel on Lothian trams and buses, plus travel to and from the airport
- Taxis can be hailed on the street or at a taxi rank and have set tariffs depending on the time.