One of the smallest cities in England is known for its spectacular cathedral.
WELLS - AT A GLANCE
- Wells’ rich medieval roots are everywhere to be seen in the city's architecture, particularly in its intricately carved 12th-century cathedral.
- The cathedral has played a starring role in many a costume drama, most recently in Wolf Hall starring Damian Lewis.
- Nearby you’ll find the Bishop’s Palace which has stunning gardens, perfect for an afternoon stroll.
- The people of Wells are passionate about their food, so a visit to the weekly farmers' market is a must. You’ll also have the pick of dining options, including some fantastic Italian restaurants thanks to the city’s historic connection with Italy.
- Located on the southern side of the Mendip Hills, it makes a great base for rambling holidays.
- This Somerset city is around 3 hours from London by a combination of bus and train.