Home to Britain’s oldest university, the City of Dreaming Spires is steeped in history and character.
OXFORD - AT A GLANCE
- A visit to Oxford, which dates back to Saxon times, is a trip into the brains of a nation. Tour the hallowed halls of the university and follow in the footsteps of Prime Ministers, poets and… Harry Potter.
- Several scenes from the Harry Potter movies were shot here, some in locations you can visit. For instance you can get a guided tour of Oxford University’s Bodleian Library – which will be familiar to fans as Hogwarts Library.
- Take a tour of the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology - the first purpose built museum in England, which opened in 1683. Or wonder at the anthropology collections at the incredible Pitt Rivers Museum.
- Did you know? To the city’s east, you’ll find wooded wonderland, the Chilterns – a popular spot for a country getaway. To the west lies the idyllic Cotswolds and to the north, the spectacular Blenheim Palace.
- For leisurely sightseeing, take a trip on a punt (a traditional flat bottomed boat) or if you prefer to stick to dry land, take a hop-on and off bus tour.
- Fashion lovers (and bargain hunters) flock to nearby Bicester Village, a designer shopping outlet selling big names brands like Ralph Lauren, Nike and UGG at discount prices.
- Find out more about attractions, events and official tours at Experience Oxfordshire.
- You can get there in a flash from London - it takes 1 hour by train.