London is preparing to celebrate a moment 70 years in the making – Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee. From a Drag Queen Tour of the city centre to an Champagne Afternoon Tea Cruise on the Thames there is much to enjoy this summer in the capital. London is inviting everyone to be part of this historic moment in British history and to toast to Her Majesty the Queen!
Explore a royal garden in a new way
- Kew Garden: Visitors to Kew Gardens can purchase a ticket to climb the 253 steps to the top of the Great Pagoda at Kew Gardens to enjoy far reaching views across London. Hidden in the garden, the royal home Kew Palace can be explored during the visit. In early July, the picnic concerts ‘Kew the Music’ guarantee unforgettable summer nights at the garden.
- St James Park: Picnic baskets filled with afternoon tea or canape delights can be picked up from The Rubens Hotel. The nearby royal St James Park is the perfect spot to enjoy the carefully prepared goodies.
- Buckingham Palace Gardens (25 July – 2 October 2022): The State Rooms and Garden Highlights Tour gives visitors the opportunity to see where The Queen lives during the summer months. The Royal Mews at the palace will reopen from 19th of May until 2nd of October for visitors to have a look at the home of historic royal carriages.
Experience London in bloom
- Belgravia in Bloom (23 - 29 May 2022): The flower festival ‘Belgravia in Bloom’ is returning for its seventh year this spring. Exquisitely crafted floral displays can be marvelled throughout the beautiful central London neighbourhood.
- Superbloom at the Tower of London (1 June – 18 September 2022): Twenty million seeds will be planted around the Tower of London this spring for ‘Superbloom’. A blooming oasis in the heart of the city created to serve as a biodiverse space for wildlife. ‘Superbloom’ will become a permanent legacy of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
- RHS Hampton Court Palace Garden Festival (4 – 9 July 2022): The world’s largest annual flower show is set in one of London's most historic royal palaces, Hampton Court. Visitors can experience award winning exhibitions, admire the floral sanctuaries, and enjoy live music to top the summer’s day off. The venue also hosts the Luna Cinema from 11 - 14 of August - an outdoor film experience under the stars in the garden of the palace.
Enjoy a drink like the royals
- The Goring Hotel: London's last remaining family-owned luxury hotel, ‘The Goring’, has created two new cocktails in honour of Her Majesty. The ‘Jubilee Fizz’ is a Champagne cocktail with Beirao and Peach Liqueurs. The second cocktail, the ‘Coronation Cup’, is the Queen’s favourite aperitif – a cocktail with gin and Dubonnet.
- InterContinental London Park Lane: ‘The Arch Bar’ of this modern luxury hotel has created ‘The Royal Cocktail Collection’. It contains twelve carefully chosen cocktails which are inspired by some of the more famous exhibits found in ‘The Royal Collection’.
- Platinum Jubilee Champagne Gala Dinner Cruise (2 – 5 June 2022): The Queen's Platinum Jubilee can be celebrated taking in majestic views of London’s famous riverside landmarks with a glass of champagne in hand. A delicious four course royal menu will be served on the cruise while being entertained by talented musicians.
Indulge in a Platinum Jubilee Afternoon tea
A selection of restaurants and hotels are offering Afternoon Tea experiences with a royal twist to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II this year:
- Taj Hotel 17 February – 30 November 2022
- Mayfair Lounge & Grill From 11 April
- Swan London 4 May - 5 July 2022
- The Rubens at The Place Hotel 1 June - 31 August 2022
- Platinum Jubilee Champagne Afternoon Tea Cruise (2 – 5 June 2022): London’s famous historic riverside sights, including the Houses of Parliament and the Tower of London, can be taken in during the Platinum Jubilee themed cruise. Visitors are invited to indulge in a menu of savoury and sweet treats inspired by British royal’s past and present.
- Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Bus Tour by B-Bakery (1 May - 31 July 2022): A Queen’s Platinum Jubilee themed bus tour is offered by B-Bakery. The experienced tour guide will tell visitors everything they need to know about Her Majesty The Queen and the royal family, including how the royals drink their tea. B-Bakery promises a party on board their bus with loads of fun.
- Platinum Jubilee Biscuits by Biscuiteers: Biscuiteers have launched an exclusive Platinum Jubilee Biscuit collection. See the Queen’s Corgis to London Guards and Buckingham Palace come alive in icing form. At the retailers Icing Cafes in Belgravia and Notting Hill, Icing Masterclasses are on offer alongside afternoon tea fit for any Queen or King, Prince or Princess.
Have unlimited fun with a royal twist
- Lizzie’s Platinum Weekend at Ballie Ballerson Shoreditch (1 – 5 June 2022): The ball pool bar Ballie Ballerson is opening its doors over the Jubilee weekend to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II in a different way. Visitors will be welcomed by the lady herself on a red carpet with a glass of champagne.
- The Royals at Madame Tussauds: Visitors can get close to the Royal Family at Madame Tussauds where they have created many figures of Queen Elizabeth II (the first built when she was just two years old)!
- Drag Queen Walking Tour by Dragged Around London: Two hours of extravaganza are guaranteed during the ‘West Mincer Tour’ around central London led by delightful drag queens. The tour is like no other city tour - visitors are taken on a fun and fabulous journey through the city’s streets.
More dynamic experiences with a royal angle all over the United Kingdom can be found on www.visitbritain.com/gb/en/top-royal-britain-things-do.
For more information contact:
VisitBritain Media Teampressandpr@visitbritain.org