This UNESCO World Heritage site is famed for its splendid Roman spa and elegant Georgian architecture.
Bath at a glance
- The Romans took advantage of the area’s natural hot springs by building the majestic Roman Baths, now a UNESCO heritage site. You can experience the mineral-rich waters for yourself at Thermae Bath Spa - don’t miss the spectacular views of the city from the rooftop pool.
- The city’s elegant Georgian architecture is best appreciated on foot. Take a free walking tour to take in the Royal Crescent (one of Britain's most beautiful streets), the spectacular Bath Abbey and the historic Theatre Royal.
- Bath is a must-visit if you’re a Jane Austen fan. Visit the Jane Austen Centre to learn more about the enigmatic writer or dress up in your finest Regency regalia for the annual Jane Austen Festival in September.
- Did you know? Bath has more museums in a square mile than any other English city. Take your pick from No 1 Royal Crescent, Holburne Museum or the Fashion Museum.
- VisitBath has everything you need to know about visiting the city, including handy itineraries such as Bath on a Budget.
- This city, in the county of Somerset, is very accessible from London. By train, it takes just 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Things to do in Bath
Where is Bath?
Bath is located in Somerset, in the heart of south-west England, a one-and-a-half hour train ride from London and circa 19 miles from Bristol by car. The city’s nearest airport is Bristol International Airport, with operates flights to and from more than 100 global destinations.
Getting around Bath
Well connected by train, coach and bus to destinations across the UK, getting to and around Bath is easy a pie. First Bus is the largest of several bus operators connecting the city, while Great Western Railway operates regular services from London Paddington and destinations across the Bath and the south west.
Get orientated and see all the major sights aboard a hop on, hop off city sightseeing bus tour.
With 14 self-service hire stations around the city, traffic-free cycle routes and the Bristol to Bath Cycle Path, the scenic city of Bath is brilliant when explored by bike.