Otherwise known as ‘The Midlands’, harking back to when it was the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Mercia.
CENTRAL ENGLAND - AT A GLANCE
- Central England encompasses a wide area including Britain’s second largest city, Birmingham, and William Shakespeare’s home town of Stratford-upon-Avon.
- Make time for the twin glories of Oxford and Cambridge, Britain’s oldest university cities, and the honey-colored cottages and quaint villages of The Cotswolds.
- This diverse area stretches from the rolling hills of Shropshire, bordering Wales on the west, right across to the meandering waterways of Norfolk, on the east coast.
- Central England is sometimes called ‘The Midlands’. Historic counties to visit here include Derbyshire, Herefordshire and Nottinghamshire.
- From London, Birmingham is a 1 hour 25 minute train ride.