Where urban cool meets Geordie warmth.
Gateshead Millenium Bridge, Newcastle-Gateshead, England
NEWCASTLE-GATESHEAD - AT A GLANCE
- In the north east of England, Newcastle and Gateshead face each other across the River Tyne, coming together at the dazzling Quayside.
- Awash with restaurants, bars, cafes, hotels and must-see tourist attractions including the award-winning Gateshead Millennium Bridge and the Angel of the North, a steel sculpture by Sir Antony Gormley.
- Learn about the city's past at the Discovery Museum or head across the river to the BALTIC gallery, a hotspot for modern art lovers.
- It’s a great starting point for exploring the Roman remains of Hadrian’s Wall, the ancient defensive barrier that runs 73 miles from coast to coast.
- Newcastle-Gateshead is a handy gateway to Scotland. By train it’s just a 1 hour 30 minute journey north to Edinburgh.
- You can reach Newcastle from London by train in under 3 hours
- Watching a boat race from the Gateshead Millennium Bridge
- Get to know: Newcastle