Made famous by Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, the university city boasts some of England’s finest medieval architecture, including one of its oldest cathedrals.
CANTERBURY - AT A GLANCE
- Visitors flock to the incredible Canterbury Cathedral, which houses the famous shrine of medieval archbishop Thomas Beckett.
- St Augustine’s Abbey and St Martin’s Church are also spectacular historical sites, and together with the cathedral form a UNESCO heritage site.
- Don’t miss the award-winning Canterbury Tales attraction, where the sights, sounds and smells of Chaucer’s medieval England are recreated.
- Nearby Herne Bay and the surrounding countryside offer plenty of opportunities to explore Britain’s natural beauty.
- Set in 90 acres of beautiful parkland, the kids will love a trip to Howletts Wild Animal Park which is home to exotic and endangered species including gorillas, lions, tigers and elephants.
- Check out VisitCanterbury for things to see and do in the historic district.
- This cathedral city in Kent is less than 1 hour southeast of London by train.