Huge, wild and beautiful the Highlands are for many what Scotland is all about.
THE HIGHLANDS - AT A GLANCE
- It’s about spotting Highland Cows roaming heather-wreathed glens, it’s taking a sip of golden whisky as you look out over the surface of a deep mysterious loch and much more besides.
- From the wild West Coast with its myriad islands to the pristine forests and soaring peaks of the Cairngorms, this corner of Britain is as beautiful and atmospheric as it gets.
- Outdoorsy-types love its varied mountain landscapes, especially Ben Nevis in the west - the highest mountain in the United Kingdom at 1,344m above sea level.
- You’ll find two National Parks here: the Cairngorms, and Loch Lomond and the Trossachs.
- This ancient land spans the north of Scotland, above the Highland Boundary Fault.
- The most convenient route in is to fly direct from London to the city of Inverness, which takes 1 hour 30 minutes.