This beautifully preserved medieval city is a must-visit for history buffs.
The Shambles, York, England
YORK - AT A GLANCE
- Be sure to visit The Shambles, a street of traditional timber-framed buildings dating back to the 14th century.
- And of course, the magnificent York Minster, the largest gothic cathedral in Northern Europe.
- There’s Viking heritage too, as York – then called Jorvik – was once the capital of a Viking territory. You can head back in time to learn more and experience the sights, sounds and smells of the time at the immersive Jorvik Viking Centre.
- The North Yorkshire city is also a centre for shopping, culture, arts and entertainment.
- Due to the city’s modest size it’s easy to explore its cobbled streets on foot.
- You can reach York from London by train in 2 hours. Or from the city of Leeds, it is just a 20 minute train ride.
- ShowMeBritain - York