The capital of the Southwest has an alternative vibe.
Bristol International Balloon Fiesta, Bristol, England
BRISTOL - AT A GLANCE
- This lively university city is full of exciting attractions and hosts one-of-a-kind events and festivals throughout the year, from Caribbean carnivals to ballooning spectaculars.
- There's fantastic shopping on independent-minded Gloucester Road, great global cuisine from Georgian market hall St Nick’s, and buzzing bars and cafes along the Harbourside.
- The most iconic attraction is Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Clifton Suspension Bridge – a treat to walk or cycle across. Then marvel at another of the engineer’s feats at Brunel’s ss Great Britain museum. The ship was the largest afloat when it was launched in 1843.
- Did you know? The elegant Bristol Zoo Gardens now has a luxury lodge onsite. The unique stay includes a behind-the-scenes tour with a zoo keeper, a 4-course meal cooked by your personal chef, and in the morning - breakfast with the gorillas!
- VisitBristol has all sorts of ideas for things to see and do during your visit, from a Banksy street art tour to a visit to the 3D planetarium at the At Bristol Science Centre.
- Just a short trip away is the Roman city of Bath and the rural splendor of Gloucestershire and The Cotswolds.
- Bristol is 1 hour 40 minutes from London by train.
- Get to know: Bristol
- Riding balloons over Bristol
Save money (and time): Introducing 14 new direct routes to BritainRead more
Save money (and time): Introducing 14 new direct routes to Britain