Walk alongside the mighty Hadrian’s Wall, visit majestic castles that preside over wild and windswept beaches, or head into the hills and see some of Europe’s best night skies.
NORTHUMBERLAND - AT A GLANCE
- Once the northernmost frontier of the Roman Empire, Hadrian’s Wall stretches 73 miles across the north of England, much of it across the top of Northumberland.
- The remote and unspoilt North Pennines is an ‘Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty’, this breathtaking wilderness is home to an array of wildlife, including 80% of the UK’s black grouse population.
- The Farne Islands, in easy reach just off the coast, are declared by broadcaster David Attenborough as his favourite place in the UK to see nature at its best. Around 23 different varieties of birds can be spotted here, including colourful puffins.
- Did you know? Northumberland has more castles than any other county in England. Be sure to check out Bamburgh Castle in its magnificent surrounding settings and Alnwick Castle which stood in for Hogwarts in the Harry Potter films and where you can take broomstick flying lessons.
- Northumberland is around 3.5 hours away from London by train and 30 minutes from Newcastle International Airport by car.
- Northumberland | It's in our naturePrepare to discover just how much Northumberland has to offer.
- Farne Island Boat TripsSpot some of the amazing wildlife that call the Farne Island home.
- 5 Reasons to Visit NorthumberlandFind the best things to see and do in Northumberland