England’s second city, Birmingham is packed full of exciting attractions, from a state-of-the-art library to a world-class shopping centre and even Cadbury World - a real-life chocolate factory.
Canal side near Gas Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, England © VisitEngland/Diana Jarvis
BIRMINGHAM - AT A GLANCE
- Visit Birmingham and indulge your inner kid at Cadbury World, the famous chocolate factory where you can order a liquid pot of choc with your choice of sweet treat added, from marshmallows to moreish candies.
- Home to many architectural gems, the futuristic Library of Birmingham and gleaming Selfridges Bullring shopping centre are two modern triumphs not to be missed.
- The city is renowned for its dining scene, which ranges from the flavourful family-run eateries of Balti Triangle to its Michelin-star restaurants.
- For something a little different, explore the city by canal boat – Birmingham has more miles of canal than Venice and there’s plenty of beautiful scenery to take in. While you're at it, why not visit the National Sea Life Centre and be wowed by the marine life on display?
- Did you know? Around 40 per cent of British jewellery is made in Birmingham’s famous Jewellery Quarter. The historic district is the perfect place to pick up pieces direct from makers’ workshops.
- You might like to stay here a night or 2 on your way to the home of Shakespeare, Stratford-upon-Avon, which is 1 hour south by train.
- VisitBirmingham offers a wealth of useful information to help plan your trip.
- Birmingham is a convenient 1 hour 25 minutes by train from London. It also has an international airport.
- Explore Birmingham's best bits