Once England's capital, Winchester is a stunning medieval city.
Winchester Cathedral, England
WINCHESTER - AT A GLANCE
- One of England’s finest historical cities, Winchester is also well known for its connections to King Arthur. Be sure to see the recreation of the legendary king’s round table in the Great Hall.
- One of the smallest cities in the country, Winchester is a delight to explore on foot.
- Look out for the fascinating Gurkha Museum, which tells the moving stories of the Gurkha soldiers who have served on behalf of the British crown for 200 years.
- Downton Abbey fans will want to head to nearby Highclere Castle, which played the elegant abbey in the hit costume drama.
- As it is situated at the Western End of the South Downs National Park – familiar for its iconic chalk cliffs – it also acts as a gateway for adventure holidays.
- You can get there in an hour from London by train.