A stylish Scottish city with world-class arts, culture and architecture.
GLASGOW - AT A GLANCE
- Its history stretches back to the Stone Age, but this city is thoroughly modern and no stranger to a good time.
- Glasgow is a top spot for a city break if you’re keen on contemporary culture. It's home to over 20 museums and art galleries, including the award-winning Burrell Collection, the huge Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery and the Riverside Museum, a radical space designed by Zaha Hadid for the city’s transport heritage.
- The city is also the home of both the Scottish Opera and the Scottish Ballet.
- The music scene in Glasgow is red hot. If you want to see the next big thing, get in line at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut. It’s here that Oasis were famously spotted and signed in 1993.
- You’ll find Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s work dotted all over the city, but architecture fans will also love The Lighthouse, Scotland’s national center for design and architecture.
- Just over an hour’s drive from Glasgow is Loch Lomond, a first hint of the Highlands and an area designated a National Park for its epic splendor.
- Glasgow is just 1 hour from Edinburgh by train.
- Get to know: Glasgow
From jazz clubs to outdoor festivals: the best live music in BritainRead more
From jazz clubs to outdoor festivals: the best live music in Britain