The city of ‘dreaming spires’ is home to Britain’s oldest university.
View over Oxford spires from Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford, England
OXFORD - AT A GLANCE
- A visit to Oxford is a trip into the brains of a nation. Tour the hallowed halls of the university and you’ll be following in the footsteps of Prime Ministers, poets and… Harry Potter.
- Several scenes from the Harry Potter movies were shot here, including Oxford University’s Bodleian Library which proved a fitting location for Hogwarts’ Library.
- Take a tour of the Ashmolean Museum, the first purpose built museum in England, opened in 1683.
- Oxford is a useful starting point for a trip to the rolling hills of the Cotswolds AONB, which lies to its West.
- To the city’s east, you’ll find the Chilterns, which is one of the most heavily wooded areas in England.
- You can get there in a flash from London - it takes just an hour by train.
Exploring Film & Literature Locations in the south of EnglandRead more
Exploring Film & Literature Locations in the south of England
Almost famous: your favourite film locations (and places to stay just like them)Read more
Almost famous: your favourite film locations (and places to stay just like them)
Oxford and Cambridge Day Tour (Golden Tours)
Evan Evans Select tours; Windsor, Stonehenge & Oxford