This county is as green and pleasant as any in Britain.
DORSET - AT A GLANCE
- If you want to sample a classic slice of rural England with some impressive coastline thrown in, this is your place. One of the few counties in England without a motorway, Dorset is perfect for a quiet country escape.
- Find fossils on the beaches of the Jurassic Coast, a World Heritage Site of hidden bays, sandy beaches and crumbling cliffs and drink ale in ancient inns once frequented by smugglers.
- Don’t forget to visit the staggering Maiden Castle, one of the largest, most complex Iron Age hill forts in Europe.
- Bordered by Devon, Somerset, Wiltshire and Hampshire it also makes an idyllic base for exploring the South West.
- Nearby Wiltshire has the iconic Stonehenge while the New Forest to the east is designated as a National Park for its magical ancient woodland.
- The quickest route from London is by train to the seaside town of Bournemouth, which takes around 2 hours.
- A weekend in Dorset and Somerset